Home
Links
lectures
News
SIGs

SIGs

                                                                                              Issue 141

 

Registered charity no. 1108125                                                                                           May/June 2017

www.westoxfordu3a.org.uk

Newsletter Editor: Elizabeth Stevens            01865 739252                   secretary@westoxfordu3a.org.uk

 

NEWSLETTER

 

 

This Newsletter is published on the Internet simultaneously with the printing.  If any material relating to any individual should not be so published, please contact the Editor.

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Formal notice is given that the Annual General Meeting of West Oxford U3A will be held on Monday, 22 May 2017 at 2.30pm in Dean Court Community Centre.  The Agenda, Committee Nomination form and Minutes of the 2016 AGM are appended to this Newsletter.  The Constitution may be inspected at any time by application to our Secretary, Mrs. Elizabeth Stevens.  If anyone has any matter that he/she wishes to raise at the AGM, please contact Elizabeth Stevens, 104 Kennington Road, Kennington, Oxford OX1 5PE (01865 739252) with details before 15 May 2017.

SUMMER LUNCHEON: WEDNESDAY, 5 July 2017 – 12 noon for 12.30pm

 

We have decided to have the Summer Luncheon at The Spires Hotel, Abingdon Road, Oxford OX1 4PS.  The cost is 18.00 per head for a buffet lunch and coffee, including gratuities.  Any drinks should be paid for on an individual basis.  Tickets are available either at the Monday afternoon meetings or from Elizabeth Stevens, 104 Kennington Road, Kennington, Oxford OX1 5PE.  (Cheques to be made payable to West Oxford U3A).

 

TVN Study days for 2017

Please note that there is a link to the TVN website from the Links Button on this website

 

Topic

Date

Venue

2nd Social history of the Thames

Wednesday 17 May

Rowing Museum, Henley

The work of William Morris

Thursday 10 August

*Note change of date

Kelmscott Manor

 

Crop Growth and Climate Change

Thursday 28th September

tba

NETWORK TRAINING DAY

Towards end of year

tba

 

See: u3atvnetwork.org.uk  OR our website westoxfordu3a.org.uk to print off your own application form. 

Full details are available in the purple folder in front of the notice board at each meeting, as well as online at u3atvnetwork.org.uk   or our own website at westoxfordu3a.org.uk

 

Please check TVN and our website regularly for additions as several others are in the pipeline


YOUR  NEWSLETTER  from Elizabeth Stevens, Secretary

Please send all contributions, notices, etc. for the next issue covering July/August 2017 to: Elizabeth Stevens, 104 Kennington Road, Kennington, Oxford OX1 5PE, (01865 739252) secretary@westoxfordu3a.org.uk   not later than Friday, 23  June 2017.

A reminder that the current issue can always be found on this website http://www.westoxfordu3a.org.uk/

 

AREA REPRESENTATIVES

The representatives, to whom all matters relating to Newsletter distribution should be referred, are:

 

Botley and Elms Rise: Ian & Eileen Ross   (01865 793083)   

Cumnor:                      Joan Airey (01865 864088)    

 

MONDAY TALKS IN DEAN COURT COMMUNITY CENTRE, PINNOCKS WAY – EVERYONE WELCOME

Meetings are normally held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month from 2.30 onwards. There is always an opportunity for tea and biscuits and a chat from approx 3.45 onwards.  All are welcome, and we extend an open invitation to any visitors who might like to come along and meet us.



8th May:          Tim Porter - Medieval Pilgrims

Tim Porter originally trained in music and worked for many years as a composer in touring theatre productions. His interest in, and research into, medieval Britain developed alongside this and he became a WEA tutor for many years. He lives in the Cotswolds and currently guest lectures at various museums, including the Ashmolean. This should be an interesting talk by someone who is well known and knowledgeable in this field.

22 May:           Annual General Meeting followed by

 

                        Nick Baker – The Mappa Mundi

This map of the world is displayed in Hereford Cathedral.  It is the largest Medieval map dating from 1300. 

Nick Baker is the Archivist of Princethorpe College.  A former librarian of Eton College and Hereford Cathedral, he has worked with historic books and manuscripts for over twenty years, including the Hereford Mappa Mundi and Chained Library.  Current research interests include early medieval gospel books and he has published on this topic.

 

12 June:            Joan Chattie   - Medical Detection Dogs and how they work

Heather Shute is unwell and so her colleague, Joan Chattie is going to come instead. They are a group of people who work with this charity that originally started up when it was discovered that a dog’s extraordinary sense of smell enabled it to be aware of a developing malignancy. This ability was then worked on to be used in other medical conditions and is, in fact, an ever expanding field with much wider implications than originally thought. Joan will bring her own dog, a border terrier, with her. She says he is an ambassador for the charity which is much younger than Guide Dogs for the Blind.

 

26 June:              Michael Keith –Lucas - Climate Change, food for thought

Michael Keith-Lucas was Senior Tutor in Plant Sciences at Reading University, he has now retired. He is going to talk about the causes and effects of Climate Change. The talk will focus on how this will affect the things we grow in our gardens and the crops grown in agriculture. He will also look at how wild species of both flora and fauna are being affected and how we might deal with these changes. Do please come, this is an important subject which we all need to understand and we are fortunate to have a scientist of this calibre to come and talk to us

  


FULL DETAILS OF SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG) MEETINGS IN MAY AND JUNE


ART HISTORY/APPRECIATION           (10 members)             Contact: Terence Carter (01865 863379)

Visits to the Ashmolean Museum normally take place on the second Tuesday or the second Thursday of each month, meeting just inside the main entrance to the Museum. For other locations, directions will be given. Please let Terence know if you would like to attend. There are spaces available in this group.

 

Thursday 11 May, at the Ashmolean Museum: “Collecting the Past: Scholars’ Taste in Chinese Art” and “Chinese Coins from the Scholars’ Study – two free but unguided exhibitions.  Meet in the Ashmolean foyer at 2.30 pm.

 

Tuesday 13 June, at the Treasury, Weston Library: “Bodleian Treasures: 21 Pairs and a Tropical Forest”.  Meet just inside the Weston Library entrance on Broad Street at 2.30 pm for this free but unguided exhibition.

 

BRIDGE GROUP          (20 regular members)                                    Contact Annie Lorton, 01367 718331

We are a really friendly group of around 20 players who have a game every Wednesday afternoon from 2-5 pm with a break for tea and biscuits.  We meet in each other’s houses and all can play bridge to an enjoyable level.  We alternate the sessions with one week being a bit more structured playing Chicago, and the next week (Splinter) session being a time to learn through playing Rubber Bridge, with pauses to discuss hands as required.

This is not a group for total beginners (a basic knowledge of ACOL is required) but please enquire if you would like to know more and we can arrange a couple of taster sessions.

 

CHURCHES AND PUBS            (15 members)                         Contact:  Brian Cox (01865 872720)

The group meets monthly on the morning of the first Friday in each month, visits an historic church and afterwards lunches together, usually at a nearby pub.  Further details can be obtained by e-mail from the co-ordinator of the group briancox30@btinternet.com

 

CINEMA GROUP - 2    (10 members)             Contacts:  Pam and David Eyton  pameyton@gmail.com

We meet on the second Thursday of the month to discuss a variety of films (mainly from the Phoenix) over a shared meal in a member’s house.   The membership is restricted to 10 because of the dining arrangements. 

If you are interested in going on a waiting list or being invited when space is available, please e-mail Pam.  We celebrated our 6th Anniversary last month.

 

CINEMA GROUP – 3   (new members welcome)                  Contact:  Lis Froggatt (01865 249828)

Cinema Group 3 continues to meet on the second Tuesday of each month at The Punter on Osney Island at 12.30pm.  Everyone welcome for a discussion about films seen, recommended and plans to view new films.

lis.froggatt@entitled.co.uk    

 

COMPUTER  USERS’ GROUP  (7 members – new members welcome)   Contact: Richard Sills (01865 721644)

All meetings will be held at The Map House, Vernon Avenue, OX2 9AU at 10.30 am.  Next dates are: 15 May (no meeting on Bank Holiday – 1 May); 5 and 19 June.

 

CRAFT GROUP                                                                        Contact:  Sally Strang (01865 240310)

Our plans for future gatherings are to take it in turns choosing and teaching a short term project, whilst having a longer term project on the go.

 

GARDEN CLUB                                                                                    Contact: Mary Gregory (01865 865887)

With spring in the air Garden Club members are off the sofa and out into gardens and allotments.  A well-attended plant swap afternoon with members passing on excess items from their gardens and taking in ditto; at least plant diversity in members’ gardens should increase.  The next couple of months will see us heading further afield with visits planned to the NT house and garden at Nuffield Place and later to the RHS Garden at Wisley.

 

LANGUAGES                                                                           Contact:  David Taylor (01235 525455)                   

We have completed our study of German for the time being, and from July we shall turn to Spanish.  Due to the limitations of space, we cannot unfortunately accommodate any more in the group.

 

LISTENING TO MUSIC   (7 members – new members welcome) Contact: John Grimshaw (01865 861949)

These convivial meetings are normally held on the third Thursday of each month, at 2.15 pm.  We meet in members’ homes and the host introduces and plays recordings, usually on CD or DVD, of broadly classical music which can be secular or sacred and can include extracts and arias from opera.  Members freely express their reactions.  We may finish with something in lighter mood.

 

SCRABBLE                                                                               Contact:  Margery Dent (01865 862534)

The group meets mostly on the 3rd Monday of the month or on an agreed alternative, from 2 – 4.30 pm, at 4 Long Close.  Please ring if you are interested in coming.

 

SKETCHING

All abilities welcome to come along and have a go – all you need to bring is paper and a pencil or pen.  We will meet centrally at 10.00am and agree a place and time to reconvene and share our work over a cuppa.  It is envisaged that we will take it in turns to decide on the meeting place.  The group will meet on the 1st Tuesday in the month at 10.00am. 

2 May:             West Oxford Community Centre (park, river, allotments and cafe nearby)

6 June:                        Binsey Lane (river, The Perch and the church)

For more information contact pameyton@gmail.com

 

WALKING GROUP      (15 members)                         Contact:  Terence Carter (01865 863379)

Walks normally commence at 10 am on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month.  It is important to note that if bad weather threatens, you should ring Terence, or the named leader of the walk, on the day to check whether it is going ahead; otherwise you may have a wasted journey. (If it is actually raining, the walk will almost certainly be cancelled).  Walking boots are always recommended.

 

May and June: Sally Roberts and Norman Robinson will continue to arrange walks during this period, and you are asked to get in touch with Sally directly (Oxford 721596) for further information. Norman’s number, as a back-up, is Oxford 862845. Provisional dates are Fridays, 12th and 26th May (possibly) and 9th and 23rd June.

 


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2017

Thank you for your support during the last year.

 

Our membership has increased to 176 which is encouraging; slowly and surely our numbers are creeping up, but please encourage your friends to come along.  More members would give us the option to increase the range of Special Interest Groups available.  Ian and Cressida Battersby kindly hosted a new members coffee morning at their house and garden which gave us a chance to put names to faces.   If, at a Monday meeting, you are sitting next to a new member, please talk to them and tell them about the SIG’s etc.

 

We have had a very enjoyable year. The Monday meetings have been well attended with excellent speakers ranging from coffee to cats.  Our thanks go to Rosemary and Cressida for all their hard work.  They would really appreciate someone to help them and please tell them if you hear of any good speakers.

The speakers have been ably supported by our sound team, Frank, Ian, John and Russell who turn up for every meeting to organise the audio system. Gilliane Sills provides our technical support when the computer is needed.  We are very grateful to them all; without their hard work we couldn’t have the talks.

 

We always conclude our meetings with tea and biscuits, and sometimes cakes.  Priscilla Fisher and Elisabeth Sabey do a sterling job organising the tea rota but would like some more volunteers, male or female.   It isn’t an arduous job.  Thanks also go to Priscilla Waugh for opening the hall and putting out chairs.

 

Dean Court Community Centre (DCCC) has installed acoustic panels to the ceiling which has improved the sound quality.  A hearing loop is still a possibility.  We are hoping to have new black out blinds fitted soon which will improve our visual enjoyment of the talks.  The DCCC has recently levelled the rough area outside the hall fence and part resurfaced the area on the right side of the hall, thus increasing the available parking spaces.   Please close the gate after you leave.

 

The Special Interest Groups continue; some flourish more than others.  I would like to thank the group leaders who work hard to keep them going.  If you are interested in starting a new group just let the committee know and we will find out who else is interested.

After 10 years of running our website Tony Roberts has stepped down.  We are very grateful for all his hard work.   It has been a very useful way of telling the world about West Oxford U3A, providing lots of information and attracting new members.  Geoff Paver has agreed to take over.

 

Joyce Encer is organising a coach trip to Wisley on June 5th; the roses should be at their best so it should be a good day out.

 

Thames Valley Network goes from strength to strength.  There have been some excellent Study Days and there are more to come.  Details can be found at the website Thames Valley Network U3A.  Beverley Birmingham is taking over from Margaret Sherrington who has looked after TVN for quite a long time, passing down information from head office when required. We thank her for all her hard work.

 

Last year the summer lunch was our 21st birthday party at Brookes University.  We had a great party and hope to go back there at some point when the building work is done.  Our very enjoyable Christmas lunch was at The Spires Hotel on the Abingdon Road, which is now under new ownership, and we are returning there for our next summer lunch on July 5th.  Our thanks go to Lorna and Elizabeth for organising them.  

                                     

I hope you have all enjoyed this last year and will enjoy the coming year.   Please let us know of any suggestions you would like us to incorporate.

 

Please note, next year the AGM will be a month later on June 25th 2018

 

Kay Whittle   Chairman     

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF WEST OXFORD U3A

Held on Monday, 23 May 2016 at 1430h in Dean Court Community Centre

The Acting Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting which was attended by approximately 50 members.  Apologies were received from Lis Froggatt, Margaret Sherrington, Ann Thomas and Tony Wyatt.

The Minutes of the 2015 Annual General Meeting had been circulated with the May/June Newsletter and their adoption was proposed by Sheila Slater and Clare Balme.  The Minutes were adopted nem con.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Ian Battersby presented the Summary Accounts, which had been approved by the Independent Examiner.  He drew attention to the continuing policy of eliminating what had been a regular annual surplus and returning income to the members in the form of an improving programme of talks in much better venue.  The costs associated with this were revealed in the accounts.  He had taken funds from our reserves to pay for improvements to our audio equipment, again resulting in a better experience for members.

The deficit on the Staying Connected Study Day was small in relation go the scale and benefits of the event and would be readily absorbed.

 

In answer to questions, Ian explained that our Public Liability and Property Insurance is paid as part of our Third Age Trust affiliation fee.  The separate heading in the accounts is redundant and will be removed.  He confirmed that the same insurance covers our audio-visual equipment stored at the hall.

 

Adoption of the Treasurer’s report was proposed by Lorna Kohen and seconded by Sheila Slater.

 

The members of the current Committee, and willing to serve again, are Ian Battersby, Lorna Kohen, Elizabeth Stevens and Kay Whittle.  Beverley Birmingham, Janet Farrow and Liz Jones were nominated to become members of the Committee.

 

Priscilla Fisher proposed and Philip Stevens seconded the motion that the Committee be elected en bloc and this was carried unanimously.

 

Tony Wyatt has agreed to be the scrutineer of our accounts and this appointment was proposed by Humphrey Foster and seconded by Clare Balme.

 

Any other business

There was no further business but Sheila Slater thanked Kay Whittle for standing in as Acting Chairman.

The Annual General Meeting closed with a talk by Karen Wiseman on ‘Odd Men and Necessary Women: Blenheim Palace’.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                                                           

                                                      ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF WEST OXFORD U3A

 

Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting will be held on Monday, 22 May, 2017 at 1430h in Dean Court Community Centre

 

A G E N D A

 

1.            Welcome and Apologies for Absence

 

2.            Adoption of Minutes of 2016 Annual General Meeting (circulated with Newsletter Issue 141)

 

3.            Treasurers Report

 

4.            Committee Elections: Nominations must be provided to Mrs. Elizabeth Stevens, 104 Kennington              Road, Kennington, Oxford OX1 5PE, in writing, no later than 3 weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting  ie. by Monday, 1 May 2016 at the latest - see Nomination Form circulated with Newsletter Issue 141.

 

5.            Appointment of scrutineer of accounts

 

6.            Any Other Business (items should be submitted in writing to Mrs. Elizabeth Stevens (as  above) at                           least 1 week in advance of the Annual General Meeting)

 

7.            Closure of Meeting

 

After the AGM there will be a talk by Nick Baker on ‘The Mappa Mundi – What on earth is it?’

 

PLEASE BRING THIS AGENDA WITH YOU TO THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

 

 

 

………………………………........................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

 

 
NOMINATION FOR THE COMMITTEE OF WEST OXFORD U3A – TO BE CONSIDERED AT THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING ON 22 MAY 2017

 

I nominate (printed)……………………………............................................................... for election to the Committee of

 

West Oxford U3A to serve for one year from May 2017

 

Proposed by

 

……………………………….......................................................................................................................................

 

I second the nomination ……………………………….......................................................................................................................................

 

I, being nominated above, duly agree to serve on the above-named Committee

 

Printed name of Candidate ………………………………..........................................................................................

 

Signature of Candidate ……………………………….................................................................................................

 

Date of delivery of nomination to Mrs. Stevens ………………………………..........................................................

                                                                                                                                                    


TO PRINT THE ABOVE NOMINATION FORM PLEASE CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK WHICH WILL OPEN IT IN A SEPARATE WINDOW 

Nomination Form